This is a super-fast, very flavorful recipe. Use fresh garden tomatoes for a bright taste. Don’t skip the eggs!
1 onion, finely diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tomatoes (1 finely diced + 1 peeled and grated
2T tomato paste
2T olive oil
1/4t crushed red pepper (more or less depending on your heat tolerance)
1# ground beef
1t onion powder or finely diced onion
1t garlic powder or finely minced fresh garlic
3T finely minced parsley
1T finely chopped parsley
- In a tagine or covered skillet, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onions and saute until softened (about 2 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add all remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes
- Prepare meatballs by combining all meatball ingredients and form into golf ball size balls 6. When the sauce is ready, add meatballs, cover, and cook about 25-30 minutes.
- Add 2 eggs into the middle of tagine/skillet and cook, covered until egg whites are set.
- Garnish with parsley
- Serve with Israeli couscous, rice, pasta, or bread.