No matter how long you and your partner have been together, nurturing your relationship is essential to maintaining and strengthening your bond and ultimately, keeping the friendship and romance alive. So consider some of the following fun weekend getaways to revitalize your friendship and reignite the spark. Regardless of where you live, there are likely plenty of escapes within a half day’s drive or less. Or consider hopping on a short flight for more options.
RELATED: October/November Calendar 2023
- A Dude Ranch – Spend a weekend cowboy style at one of the many dude ranches around the country. Enjoy horseback riding, wagon rides, hiking, fishing, cowboy cookouts, dancing, relaxing in a hot tub, and lots of western charm.
- Golf Getaway – Choose from one of many weekend golf packages, or create your own by making hotel reservations near some of the courses you’ve been dying to play.
- Bed and Breakfast – Find a romantic bed and breakfast in a quaint town with old-time charm. You can stroll through historical neighborhoods, window-shop, enjoy local eateries and old-fashioned ice cream, take a riverfront walk, and check out historical sites.
- A Trip Down Memory Lane – Remember those carefree days before the kids came along? Make your reservation at a hotel in the area where you met. Then spend the weekend revisiting your past. Eat at the restaurant of your first date, visit parks you frequented, or even reenact some of your most memorable dates.
- Lover’s Lane Delight – Find accommodations with an in-room Jacuzzi, then dedicate your first evening to a mini-shopping spree at Victoria’s Secret or Frederick’s of Hollywood. Choose apparel for each other to try on and discover what you each like. Then spend the weekend savoring each other and rekindling the romance. Don’t forget to bring fragrant candles, a portable stereo, your favorite music, and other fun stuff for your weekend.
- A Weekend of Culture and Class – Buy tickets to an area play, musical, or event. Then choose a top-notch hotel with fine dining and luxurious rooms near the event. Don’t forget to take along your best attire.
- Mystery Weekend –Try out a mystery weekend adventure. Search online or call your local travel agent for upcoming mystery events. But be prepared. If you’re not the murderer, you could wind up being the victim yourself.
- Amusement Park Fun – Get in touch with your inner child. Make your reservation at an amusement park resort. That way you can take breaks and come and go as you please all weekend.
- Music Lover’s Weekend – Buy concert tickets then plan a weekend of musical merriment. Reserve a room near the concert hall. Then catch a cab for a guaranteed designated driver.
- Winter Resort – If you like the cold and snow, try a winter recreation resort. Then hit the slopes or cross-country trails, toboggan, or go ice skating. When you’re done, warm up with hot cocoa by a roasting fire.
- Festival Fun – Contact your visitor’s bureau, chamber of commerce, or check out an online event directory to discover upcoming festivals. Then book a hotel reservation in the area.
- Camping and Canoeing – Enjoy a weekend of relaxing fun, sunshine, and sleeping under the stars. Find a canoe rental facility that offers riverbank camping and overnight trips.
- Second Honeymoon – Renew your vows, and take a second honeymoon. Write your own promise to recite to your partner. You can also exchange gifts that represent your renewed commitment to each other. And don’t forget the honeymoon suite!
- Make it a surprise – Pull this off, and you’ll have your partner eating out of your hand. Concoct a story about going to dinner, to an out-of-town furniture store that you’ve been dying to visit, or whatever it takes to get your partner on the road with you. When you reach your destination, act confused, and explain you got your directions wrong. Pull into a hotel parking lot (conveniently where you’ve already made reservations). Then say you’ll run in and ask for directions. After you’ve checked in, see how far you can drag your partner along before your partner discovers the surprise.
Research and plan your weekend getaway, so it isn’t over before you get started.
Talk about your wants and expectations with your partner beforehand so you don’t arrive with different ideas that’ll lead to disappointment. Come to a mutual agreement that meets both of your needs so you’ll both come home feeling renewed.
Discuss costs and spending in advance to avoid arguments that could ruin the weekend.
Turn your cell phone off to avoid unnecessary interruptions. If you have kids, also give the phone number of where you’ll be staying to the sitter, and remind the kids to call you only in an emergency.
Finally, keep in mind some things might not go as planned. Take it in stride, and be flexible because the weekend is just about renewal and enjoying your time together.