Does your house need an update? Are you getting ready to make a few changes? Before you do, consider this year’s new decorating trends.
People are embracing the open floor concept using fresher simple designs; wanting their homes to be timeless according to Jennifer Diehl from Design Classics in Holland. “People want to be connected to the kitchen so they are eliminating formal dining rooms in favor of informal dining space.”
There are a multitude of 2018 color ideas. One trend suggests combining striking blue and fuchsia and using brown as the neutralizer. If blue is not your thing, blend green and brown but in softer hues so they literally melt together.
Stay away from using stark dark and light unless you are decorating in classic black and white. The freshest news is connectivity in color and when using the softer colors be sure to accent them with red, orange and yellow. Kitchens are seeing the most change with color and look for sinks made with materials like stone, copper, concrete, and granite. Linda Leganik from Cabinet Impressions in Maumee states “people in NW Ohio still prefer the natural products such as granite and the trend still continues to be sleek cabinets with simple doors. White and grey seem to be the color of choice but wood is always in style.”
Another accent is floral wallpaper. It is not the paper of old, boasting realistic color, easy to handle and clean, it looks great. Color sets the stage for everything else in design: the furniture you choose and the accents you invest in.
Are you ready to look at wood? Forecasters say natural wood in light colors is modern and dark wood continues to be a trend because it appears luxurious. Want to try something new?
Cork is another beautiful material; look for it on cabinet doors
Accenting your color palette are vintage lighting fixtures in bronze and aged copper. Terra cotta is seen in tiles, home accents and vases while the glossy art tile designs, glass, and metal elements bring in stylish accompaniments. Stones again are the most popular and marble and granite continue their dominance.
Minimalist designs still are important and metal furniture creates a beautiful look especially when teamed with wood and upholstery fabrics— a look of simplicity that speaks volumes in its popularity. If you own oversized furniture, even in leather, don’t throw it out just yet as the trend is coming back.
According to Kathy Prokup from Ethan Allen Furniture in Perrysburg, some tips to consider are:
- Use smaller-scale furniture with exposed legs which make a room look larger. Ottomans are so very versatile and can be used anywhere
- Black and white are a sure bet to never go out of style and remain the best classic look.
- Hurricane Lamps can be used for so many different occasions also and are very popular right now.
- You don’t have to throw everything away to be current; just add pillows, faux fur for luxurious, luscious texture or something with shine or sparkle.
- Not all wood pieces need to match in color. Mixing things up a bit warms up a room and makes it feel homey.
- Area rugs are great to define a space.
- Every year brings an exciting fresh array of decorating ideas. You can use all of them or just a few to update what you currently have.