To obtain a Compliant Driver License ID, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) will require you to present proof of a Name Change (if the current legal name you use is different than the name listed on your Birth Certificate), Passport, or documents issued by the US DHS (Department of Homeland Security). If these requirements cause difficulty, the Lucas County Probate Court can help you solve problems you may encounter.
- If your name changed due to marriage, obtain a certified copy of your marriage record from the Lucas County Probate Court. Send your request to the Court at 700 Adams St., Toledo, OH 43604, or call 419-213-4775. The current cost for a copy is $2.
- If the name you use doesn’t match the name on your Birth Certificate, and you have been a Lucas County resident for the past 12 months, apply for a name change at the Lucas County Probate Court. For directions and forms, visit lucas-co-probate-ct.org/forms.
- If you don’t know what name is on your Birth Certificate, order a certified copy of your Birth Certificate from the Ohio Department of Vital Statistics. Learn more at odh.ohio.gov.
- If you were born in Lucas County, you can obtain a certified copy of your Birth Certificate from the Toledo Lucas County Health Department Bureau of Vital Statistics, 635 N. Erie St, Toledo, or by calling 419-213-4100, or online at lucascountyhealth.com. The current cost for a copy is $25.
- If you returned to a former name when you divorced, obtain a copy of your Decree of Divorce, Dissolution or Annulment of marriage. For information, contact Lucas County Clerk of Courts, Domestic Relations Division at 419-213-6902.
- If you have been married more than once, you may need to bring documentation from each marriage and/or divorce to connect your Birth Certificate, passport, or US DHS documents to your current name.
For more information, go to the
drivers license page at www.bmv.gov
or call 800-CALLBMV.